Worle Town Station Distance from Weston : 1.8 miles
One of the more important stations, having a booking office and waiting room! Worle
was the market town for Weston, and was once more important than Weston. The station
was on the south side of the line, just east (the Clevedon side) of Station Road.
See Detail map. The ungated Station Road crossing (a source of several fatal accidents)
was just behind the camera in the photo. Traffic lights were installed in 1937/8.
In the distance can be seen the gated High Street crossing. A siding (behind the
camera) served the Worle gas works until they closed in 1920. The gas works were
replaced by a rubber factory. There was originally a 10” high platform but this was
1930 - looking towards Clevedon
Photo reproduced with permission from Branch Lines to Clevedon & Portishead by Vic
Mitchell and Keith Smith published by Middleton Press